Shopping cart abandonment occurs whenever a consumer begins the check out process for an online order, but does not complete the purchase of items in the shopping cart. On average, ecommerce consumers abandon their cart before making a purchase at a rate of 88%.
In other words, eight out of ten shoppers won’t complete their transaction. Though this statistic is startling there are methods to reduce this number. Here are 30 ways you can reduce shopping cart abandonment in your ecommerce stores and instead help guide customers through the end of their shopping journey.
How to reduce shopping cart abandonment
You can reduce shopping cart abandonment with the following tips:
- Show a progress indicator at the top of the checkout page so that shoppers know what stage they’re at, and can easily navigate back
- Make sure navigation between the cart and store is quick and easy
- Add social proof such as posting product reviews or allowing consumers with verified purchases to upload photos of the product
- Include a consistent call to action on your checkout pages. This can be simple words such as “Continue” or “Checkout”
- Make it easy to save shopping carts. Consumers might want to step away and think about their purchasing decision, so it’s important to make it effortless to return to the items in their cart
- Offer guest checkout options. Don’t make it mandatory for your consumers to create an account as this can deter them from completing their purchase
- Offer a money-back guarantee or other assurances, so consumers feel comfortable buying and know they can return the item if they don’t like it
- Include images of products throughout the purchasing process. This will help consumers keep in mind what they are buying
- Be clear about all costs upfront. This include shipping, surcharges, and other fees that may be hidden to the consumer
- Integrate trust in your transaction forms. You can do this by including logos of the security software you use for checkout
- Make sure your page loads quickly
- Try conversational marketing in your contact forms, so that consumers feel like they’re communication with someone
- Use retargeting strategies to remarket to shopping cart abandoners. Brainity is a great place to start
- Offer multiple payment options such as Apple Pay, Samsung pay, PayPal etc in addition to the credit card and debit card options
- Create an exit intent strategy or use pop up messaging right as shoppers are about to leave the page
- Create a sense of urgency. This can include language such as “This deal won’t last long” or “Only a few more left in stock”
- Use your website analytics to find out where consumers are dropping off
- Give incentives based on cart total. An example of this could be free shipping on purchases of $50 or more
- Be sure consumers see ads that are relevant to their position in the marketing funnel
- Offer a price match guarantee if customers find the same product cheaper
- Send personalized follow up emails. Try including the consumers name and the items in their cart
- Ensure the checkout process is not long and confusing
- Be upfront about quantity limits. Don’t wait until the checkout page to tell shoppers there is a limit on the quantity of product they can purchase
- Be transparent about return and refund policy and make sure this policy is crystal clear. This offers reassurance to your consumers
- Offer live chat support and other friendly customer service options such as a number to call or an email to reach out to
- Provide different delivery options such as same day delivery, standard delivery, or even free delivery
- Show a persistent reminder of cart contents while consumers continue to browse your website.
- Include virtual interaction with the product if possible
- Provide a mobile friendly experience
- Make sure your web design is friendly and trustworthy. This can include having professional branding and listing social media presence
How Brainity can help with cart abandonment
Brainity makes it super easy to retarget your last visitors, Facebook and Instagram engagers, specific page or product viewers, and abandoned carts in addition to prospecting to grow your traffic and sales.
With our Performance plan, you can granularly target your audience in every step of their customer journey on Facebook and Instagram to create a full-funnel strategy. Try Brainity risk free for 14 days with no credit card required, to see how you can begin retargeting your lost consumers and start preparing your Black Friday campaigns.